- Divide the board into 4 parts and draw a clock face in each part. Each clock should show a different time (corresponding to breakfast time, lunch time, dinner time and bedtime), eg, 8.00, 2.00, 8.30 and 9.30.
- Ask the children to identify the clock corresponding to each meal time and bedtime.
- Ask some children to go to the board and draw different kinds of food associated with each meal, eg a box of cereal (for breakfast), spaghetti (for lunch), fried eggs (for dinner).
- Make comments on each meal of the day, eg It’s lunchtime. I have lunch at two o’clock. Elicit similar sentences from the children by pointing at the different clocks.
Making the cut-out
- Give one copy of the Art and Crafts: Meal times and bedtime Worksheet and three more copies of the large rectangle (A) to each child.
- Ask the children to cut out the four large rectangles.
- Ask the children to put the four rectangles one on top of another and hold them so that each rectangle is about four centimetres lower than the one above it. They should be able to see the three small rectangles at the bottom of each piece of paper.
- Then the children take the four rectangles, and fold them along the dotted line of the top rectangle, making four pages with the three small rectangles at the bottom of each page visible (see illustration).
- Staple the pages together below the crease. The tabs at the bottom of the pages will be used to stick on the labels.
- Ask the children to cut out one label from each of the three lists to form a short text about breakfast, eg It’s breakfast time. I have breakfast at eight o’clock.
- Make sure the children have chosen the correct labels. They then glue the labels to the appropriate spaces on the cut-out.
- The children then continue in the same way with the other meal times and bedtime.
- The children draw the time of each meal/bedtime on the four clock faces provided and then glue them onto the square in rectangle B on each page.
- The children draw pictures representing each meal and bedtime in the space next to the clocks (in rectangle B).
In L1 or L2, talk about the differences and similarities between British and Spanish mealtimes, eg In Spain we have lunch at two o’clock. In Britain they have lunch at twelve o’clock.