Birthday cake circle
A circle game to celebrate a child’s birthday involving children standing in a circle and becoming human candles.
This is a simple activity that does not take long to prepare and can be used to practise months and dates and to celebrate a child’s birthday.
Birthday Cake Circle activity
- Find out who has a birthday today and have that pupil stand next to you.
- The rest of the pupils sit in a circle on the floor.
- Ask the pupil who is standing next to you How old are you today? or Are you seven today?
- If the pupil is seven, choose seven pupils to stand inside the circle. If the pupil is eight, ask eight pupils to move inside the circle and so on. Those in the circle should hold their hands above their heads as if they were the flames on the candles.
- You then lead the rest of the class in singing Happy Birthday.
- The pupil with the birthday steps into the circle and blows out each ‘candle’ as everyone else counts off the years – one, two, three, etc. When a candle is blown out the pupil pretending to be the candle puts their hands down by their side. The game continues until all the candles have been blown out.
- Repeat as many times as necessary, changing the children representing the candles.