Explain that in today’s class you and your learners are going to talk about literature.
The English Book Quiz
- Give the class the English Book Quiz.
- Learners listen to your descriptions and work through the quiz individually, and then compare their answers with a partner.
- Take out the novel and show it to them.
- Point to the following items and ask them to write down what they are: the front cover, the back cover and the title.
- Then give a description of the following: A book is divided into different parts, what are these parts often called? (Answer: a chapter); A book with a hard cover? (Answer: hardback); A book with a soft cover (Answer: paperback); This is something the critics write about a book (Answer: a review).
- (Sample answers) Great Expectations, Romeo and Juliet, Lord of the Rings, Murder on the Orient Express, The Old Man and the Sea.
The Name of the Rose: Umberto Eco
The Satanic Verses: Salman Rushdie
Tales of Mystery and Horror: Edgar Allen Poe
Alice in Wonderland: Lewis Carroll
- Give out the worksheet Discussion Questions.
- Use the first set of questions as a warm-up on the topic of books and literature.
- Continue with the second set of questions and encourage your students to discuss the questions in pairs.
This activity was originally published by www.onestopenglish.com