A dictation activity to practise describing people in a busy café using the present continuous tense.
To practise writing short sentences, describing people in a picture.
To practise reading and identifying people in a picture.
The poster printed out for pupils to see (either multiple copies in A4) or in larger format as a poster.
Present continuous, clothes, physical descriptions
- Show the picture of The Busy Café to your class. Elicit where the people are (In a busy café), what they are doing (having lunch, coffee, etc.).
- Dictate the following sentences to the class and pupils write the sentences in their notebooks: He’s wearing a green jumper and is reading a newspaper / She’s wearing a yellow blouse and is eating spaghetti.
- Can they find the people in the picture and say the correct coordinates? (Answers: D2, D4)
- Now ask the class to write 3 sentences about people in the picture and note the correct coordinates on a separate piece of paper. They give their sentences to their partners and the partners should read the sentences, find the people and write the coordinates next to each sentence.
- A possible follow-up is to make the activity into a quiz for the whole class. Pupils read their sentences aloud and all of the pupils look for the people in the picture. This can be done in small teams.