The children use cards to practise classroom vocabulary.
To practise essential class vocabulary
Classroom Bingo Worksheet per pupil, a set of flashcards with the vocabulary items, scissors, envelopes
table/desk, chair, paper, door, pencil, schoolbag, notebook, board, scissors, rubber
Fun with flashcards
- Give a copy of the Worksheet to each pupil. Ask them to cut carefully along the dotted lines.
- Present the vocabulary using flashcards – here are three tried and tested methods: Show flashcard, say word, pupils repeat. Gradually reveal picture, pupils say word. Show flashcard quickly, pupils say word.
- Try all of these ideas until you think the class more or less knows the vocabulary. As a final reinforcement, hold up a flashcard and say nothing. The pupils look through their cut up mini pictures until they find the matching picture and then call out the vocabulary item.
- If you think the class is ready, you can also play the Bingo game described in Bingo Activity below.
- Allocate a number at random for each picture, eg desk = 7, scissors = 1 etc., without telling the class which number you have given to each picture. Pupils select 4 from their envelope of pictures and lay them face up on their desks.
- Ask a pupil for a number from one to ten, say the word. If the pupils have it, they turn the picture face down. Continue until a pupil wins by having all his/her cards turned down.