Cooperative brainstorming technique for writing
How students can work together to generate ideas for writing.
To work cooperatively.
To generate ideas for a writing task.
Language of descriptions.
Author: Maria Toth
- In groups of 4-5 students, give each student 5 blank strips of paper.
- Explain that they are going to be asked to write a physical description of a close friend.
- Their task is to think of areas they would include in the description and to write each ‘area’ on a strip of paper eg shape of face or colour of eyes, etc.
- Once all of the students in the group have finished writing on each strip of paper, ask them to show each other their strips, take out any duplicate areas so that they are left with a list of possible areas to include in a description.
- You may wish to limit the number of areas and ask the groups to choose the 5 or 6 most important areas from their list.