To develop students’ cooperative skills by producing a radio programme. This involves planning the outline of the programme, choosing topics of interest and producing recorded material.
Worksheet 1, Worksheet 2, Worksheet 3. Voice recorders or voice recording software.
Writing, speaking, listening, reading. Collaborative skills.
a) Film news b) Weather news c) Sports news d) Main newsThe typical order is probably: DACB or DCAB
- Give the students Worksheet 1. Ask them to match the story headlines with the topics.
- Check the answers as a group.
- Now give the students Worksheet 2.
- Give them 20 – 30 minutes to plan their programme. They need to decide who is going to present each section. Then they need to script what they are going to say. Each individual piece should last 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- When the groups are ready, record each group’s project using a digital voice recorder or a mobile phone.
- Play each radio news programme to the class. While the other groups are listening, they should make notes about the stories that they listen to, using Worksheet 3.
- Finally, students could vote on the programme that they enjoyed the most.