Looking after our bodies!
Work on healthy personal routines with Pre-primary children using flashcards and a worksheet.
To encourage healthy habits
Have a shower, brush your teeth, run and play, wash your hands, eat fruit, drink water, sleep
Secrets’ box, 1 copy of Healthy habits worksheet, cut up into cards, copies of Healthy habits worksheet, one for each child in the class
Play What’s in the secrets’ box today?
- Make a set of healthy habits flashcards by printing out a coloured copy of Healthy habits worksheet and cutting up the cards. Put the cards in the Secrets’ box.
- Get the class puppet to say Do you want to see what’s in the secrets’ box today? (Yes!)
- Take the healthy habits flashcards Have a shower! Brush your teeth! Run and play! Wash your hands! Eat fruit and drink water! Sleep! Encourage the children to repeat after you several times.
Mime Let’s look after our bodies
- Say, Let’s look after our bodies! Are you ready? Say Have a shower! Brush your teeth! Run and play! Wash your hands! Eat fruit! Drink water! Sleep! Do an exaggerated mime for each sentence. Repeat and encourage the children to join in.
Play Musical flashcards
- Ask the children to sit in a circle. Give out the healthy habits flashcards to different children in the circle.
- Play music and encourage the children to pass the flashcards around the circle. Stop the music and say eg Wash your hands! Encourage the child with this flashcard to hold it up. Encourage all the class to repeat Wash your hands! and mime. Play the music again and repeat for the other action flashcards.
Make the mini flashcards and play!
- Give each child a photocopy of Healthy habits worksheet. Point to each picture and encourage the children to say the healthy habits with you.
- Show them your flashcards and say Cut out the cards! Demonstrate and help them to cut out the cards.
- Get the class puppet to name the cards eg Sleep! and encourage the children to hold up the correct card. You may wish to staple the cards together and make a mini book of healthy habits for the children to take home to show their family or carers.