- Prior to the class you will need to photocopy and cut out the word cards of the One or more Worksheets. Glue them onto card to strengthen them. You will also need to clear sufficient space in the classroom for a small race, bearing in mind that the finishing line has to be a place where you can stick the cards (ie the board/door).
- Once in class, choose two children and give a There is and a There are card (with a piece of Blu-tac ® stuck to the back of the cards) to each of them.
- Tell the two children to go to the starting line.
- Explain to the children that you are going to stick the end of a sentence on the board/door and they have to read it as quickly as possible, run towards the board/door and stick either There is or There are at the beginning of the sentence.
- The winner is the child who sticks the first correct answer on the board/door.
- Repeat this activity with different children until you have used all the sentence cards.
Suggestion: This activity can be extended by adding sentence endings of your own.
Completing the One or more Worksheet
- Hand out the One or more Worksheet and tell the children to read the sentences, focusing on the number of items in each sentence.
- The children have to cut out the There is and There are cards at the bottom of the page and match them to the correct sentence endings above.
- You may like to check the children’s answers before they glue them into the space provided.
- The children then draw pictures above each completed sentence to indicate their comprehension of the sentence.