- The children should have some previous knowledge of the use of comparatives before doing this activity.
- Check understanding of the words: high, wide, small, low, fast, slow before starting the activity.
- Draw the three pancakes on the board, copying the pictures from the worksheet and writing a number next to each.
- Explain that you will read out 5 sentences about the pancakes on the board and that the class should note down whether they think the sentences are T (true) or F (false) in their notebooks. (They are all true).
- Read the following aloud:
1) Pancake 1 is smaller than Pancake 2.
2) Pancake 3 is smaller than Pancake 1.
3) Pancake 2 is wider than Pancake 1.
4) Pancake 2 is wider than Pancake 3.
5) Pancake 3 is smaller than Pancake 2.
- Check the answers as a class.
- Give out photocopies of the pancake race worksheet and ask the class to write sentences individually and check their work.