- Ask a child to come to the front of the class. Write the sentence There is 1 girl/boy on the board and read it out loud, stressing the verb is and the number one.
- Ask this first child to stay at the front of the class and then get another child of the same sex to join her/him at the front of the class. Write the sentenceThere are 2 girls/boys on the board and read it out loud, stressing the verbare and the number two.
- Repeat this process using one and then two or more students highlighting the use of is and are with singular and plural sentences.
Completing the Sentence games Worksheet
- Hand out the worksheet and get the children to look at the words in thediamond (There is) and the oval (There are).
- Explain that the words in the shapes are the beginnings of sentences and that they have to find the remaining parts of the sentences on the worksheet.
- The children then draw a diamond around the sentence endings which correspond to There is and an oval shape around the sentence endings which correspond to There are.
- All the diamond shapes can then be coloured yellow (for example) and all the oval shapes can be coloured blue.
- As a final activity the children can read out their completed sentences, either to each other or to the whole class.