St Patrick’s Day by Numbers
On the 17th March millions of people around the world celebrate St Patrick’s Day but where do you think the biggest celebrations are?
To find some key facts and figures about one of largest St Patrick’s Day celebrations in the world.
One copy of the infographic available at history.com .
One copy of the crossword per student.
Numbers and percentages
- Ask your students if they know which festival is celebrated every year on the 17th March and elicit what they know already about the celebration. (food, dress, different traditions etc…)
- Explain that they are going to find some more factual information about the Patron Saint of Ireland, but before that, can they guess what these figures refer to?
- Read out a few figures from the infographic and ask students if they can guess what they refer to. Give feedback.
- Distribute the crossword and ask students, in pairs, to read through the infographic on the website to find the answers and complete the crossword.
- Follow-up: Ask students to find more facts and figures about a different festival of their choice and create a free crossword for other students to complete. An online crossword maker con be found at The Teachers Corner.