The colour bus
A moving game to practise the colours.
To present, revise and reinforce the basic colours
1 set of mini colour cards per pupil
The Colour Bus Activity
- Get the pupils to arrange the chairs in the class into a ‘bus’, 10–15 chairs with a passage in the middle. Explain that this is the colour bus and to get on the bus you need a ticket, one of the mini colour cards they have in their envelopes.
- Choose a bus driver. Ask the pupils to get on the bus, each with a mini colour card that he/she has chosen. They show their ticket to the bus driver, say the colour, and find a seat.
- The driver drives for a while, then stops, so that the ticket inspector can get on the bus. The ticket inspector can be yourself or one of the pupils. The inspector walks along the passage asking What colour is this? To each pupil on the bus.
- The driver can stop the bus and shout Red Stop! or any other colour, and those with red squares have to get off the bus and get another ticket from their envelope and wait for the bus to stop again.
- For more advanced classes, the inspector can ask extra questions, eg What fruit is red? or Who is wearing red?