- Tell the children what you do every day using mime or pictures. Ask them if they do the same things or not. Make a list of the actions most people do on the board, eg Teacher: I have breakfast. And you? Class: Yes / No. Teacher: I have a shower. And you? Class: Yes / No. Continue with other routines: go to school, drink coffee, have lunch, watch TV, read the newspaper, listen to the radio, have dinner, walk my dog, etc.
- Tell the children when you do these things and invite them to tell the class when they do them: I have a shower in the morning. And you? I watch TV in the evening. And you? etc.
- Highlight time expressions like in the morning / afternoon / evening, after school, on (Sundays), at the weekend.
Completing The media: Communication Worksheet 1
- Show the children the newspaper, the magazine and the radio and elicit the words in L1 or L2. Write the words on the board.
- The children find the pictures in Activity 1. What are the other two?Television and the Internet. Write these on the board too.
- The children look at the pictures and write the numbers next to the words in Activity 1.
- Look at the pictures and elicit the verbs for each picture: read the newspaper, watch TV, read a magazine, listen to the radio, surf the Internet.Then elicit complete sentences using the time expressions in the second part of the exercise. Get the children to repeat the sentences after you: She reads the newspaper every day. He watches TV in the evening. etc. Highlight the third person singular -s, -es.
- Children complete the sentences on the worksheet.
Answers: a-3; b-4; c-1; d-2; e-5 1. She reads the newspaper every day. 2. He watches TV in the evening. 3. He reads magazines after school. 4. She listens to the radio at the weekend. 5. She surfs the Internet in the afternoon.
Memory game. Give the children one minute to study the sentences in Activity 1. Then describe one of the pictures and encourage the children to call out the number, eg Teacher: He watches TV in the evening. Class: Number 2!Teacher: She surfs the Internet in the afternoon. Class: Number 5! The children can then continue in small groups.
- Write on the board newspaper, magazine, radio, TV, Internet. Elicit the verbs which go with each noun, eg Listen to or read the newspaper? Read the newspaper. Continue with the other four: read magazines, listen to the radio, watch TV, surf the Internet.
- Tell the children when you watch TV, eg I watch TV in the evening. Invite the children to say when they watch TV using I watch TV … Continue in the same way with listen to the radio, surf the Internet, read magazines and read the newspaper.
- Write one true sentence and one false sentence about Juan on the board. Ask the children to read about Juan and decide which sentence is true and which is false, eg Juan listens to the radio after school. (False) Juan surfs the Internet in the evening. (True)
- Read about Juan with the class and point out the information in the table.
- The children read about Ana and complete the table. Check the answers. Then follow the same procedure for Antonio.
Answers: Ana: 1-at the weekend; 2-on Saturdays; 3-after school; 4-in the morning; 5-on Sundays -Antonio: 1-after school; 2-on Sundays; 3-in the morning; 4-at the weekend; 5-in the evening
The children write sentences about themselves and/or their partners in their notebooks, using the texts in Activity 2 as models.