Using mneumonics for difficult spellings
Improve study skills by using mneumonics.
To raise awareness of study techniques.
To create mneumonics to remember spellings.
A copy of the Mneumonics worksheet and task per student.
Spellings of words such as because, necessary, rhythm, people, dessert, believe, pieces, hear, together, beautiful, library, affect/effect, weight, responsible, ceiling.
Author: Maria Toth
- Dictate the word dessert (as in the word for the sweet you have at the end of a meal) to your class. Check their spelling by asking a student to write the word on the board.
- Ask the class how they remember the spelling of a word. Brainstorm the techniques they use.
- Give out the Mneumonics Worksheet and introduce the class to the idea of using sentences or other words to remember spellings.
- Now ask the class to look at the Mneumonics task in pairs and to write their own mneumonics.
- Ask individual students to present their ideas to the class.