- Review the rooms in a house. Draw a house and elicit/teach the names of the rooms: bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and living room.
Completing Water: Personal hygiene Worksheet
- Tell the children about your daily routine. Include some water routines. Use pictures or mime if necessary, eg I get up at seven o’clock. I have a shower. I have breakfast. I brush my teeth. I go to school. I wash my hands. I have lunch. I read a book. I do some exercise. I wash my hands. I have dinner. I brush my teeth. I go to bed.
- Elicit some examples from the children. Ask: What do you do in the morning? etc.
- Tell the children which rooms you do different things in and elicit examples from them: I have a shower in the bathroom. I have dinner in the kitchen.etc.
- Ask the children Do I need water to get up? No. Do I need water to have a shower? Yes. Which other things do I need water for? (have a shower, brush my teeth, wash my hands, wash my face)
- The children do Activity 1.
Answers: 1-brush my teeth; 2-wash my hands; 3-wash my face; 4-have a shower
Write on the board Every day I … Tell the children you are thinking of three things you do every day. Ask them to do the same. Write your three sentences on a piece of paper. Ask the children to write three things they do every day in their notebooks (in secret) using Every day I … When they are ready, point toEvery day I … on the board and mime the action (brush your teeth). Encourage the children to guess your action by asking you questions using Do you … ?(write Do you … ? on the board), eg Do you have lunch every day? No. Do you have dinner every day? No. Do you brush your teeth every day? Yes. Continue with other actions including wash my face, wash my hands and have a shower.Then invite some children to mime one of their sentences in front of the class. Finally, get them to continue in pairs or in small groups.
- Pre-teach before/after by writing the names of three children and their birthdays on the board, eg Ana 3rd February, Maria 8th July, Paco 4th September. Explain that Ana’s birthday is before Maria’s birthday and Paco’s birthday is after Maria’s birthday.
- Show the children a picture of a girl and put it up on the board. Create interest among the children by asking them some questions about her, eg,What’s her name? Ann. How old is she? She’s nine. Where’s she from? She’s from England. What does she do every day? She gets up, she goes to school, she washes her hands …
- Go through the sentences in Activity 2 with the class. Get the children to mime the actions. Explain before and after again if necessary.
- Tell the children about your daily routine but in the wrong order: I have breakfast, I have a shower … I get up. Ask the children Is it correct? No. Number 1, I get up. Number 2, I have a shower. Number 3, I have breakfast, etc.
- The children look at the sentences in Activity 2 in pairs and discus the right order orally in L1 or L2.
- The children write the sentences in the correct order.
Answers: 1-e; 2-a; 3-d; 4-c; 5-b
The children talk about their daily routine in small groups following the model in Activity 2. Then they write sentences about themselves and draw pictures.
- Draw a table similar to the one in Activity 3 on the board. Bring a child to the front of the class and write his/her name in the table. Ask him/her the four questions and write Yes and No in the table as appropriate. Explain the questions if necessary. Bring another child to the front of the class and write his/her name. Elicit the questions from the class. Write the answers. Do one more example if necessary.
- Practise the questions: What’s question 1? Elicit Do you have a shower in the morning? Question 2? Elicit Do you wash your hands before you have lunch?etc.
- The children write their own answers in the first column. Then, they write the names of two children sitting near them, ask them the questions and write their answers.
- Ask the children to look at the Yes answers only and get some feedback. Don’t worry too much about the third person singular s or the possessive adjectives. Encourage them to talk, eg Felipe washes his hands after he goes to the toilet. Maria and Antonio brush their teeth after they have lunch …
- Explain in L1 or L2 that water is very important for our hygiene. We must use it throughout the day, but we must use it carefully. We mustn’t waste water.
Explain in L1 or L2 that without water life wouldn’t be possible and that there isn’t much water because it doesn’t rain very much in some places. Elicit ideas about how to save water, eg Have a shower. Don’t have a bath. Turn the tap off when you brush your teeth. Don’t play with water. Don’t wash your car every week. The children can make a poster with pictures and advice.