When’s your birthday?
- Ask all of the pupils to stand in a long line. With large classes you might like to have the pupils line up around the room touching the wall.
- Stick a piece of paper with ‘January’ written on it in large letters on the wall at one end of the line. The other end of the line is ‘December’.
- By moving one place at a time, the pupils have to get into birthday order by asking their partner on either side When’s your birthday? Their partner should answer, eg In March or On 12th of March.
- Remind the pupils that they can only move one place at a time. They have to repeat the question and answer sequence as many times as necessary to get to their correct place in the line. They cannot ‘jump the queue’.
- When the pupils have finished you can check if everybody is in the correct place by saying Put your hand up if your birthday is in January/February/etc.
You could use this game to find out which pupil has their birthday closest to today’s date. The rest of the class sings Happy Birthday to him/her.