Recycling vocabulary by writing definitions and sentences.
To raise awareness of study techniques.
To write definitions of words and show how words are used in context.
A copy of the Word detectives worksheet per student.
Words from a unit of the coursebook, writing definitions of words and showing how words are used in context.
Author: Kate Fryer
- Get your students to be ‘word detectives’. Choose a list of 10 words to focus on from the coursebook. The words may come from the previous lesson or they may be based on the Unit vocabulary.
- Give a copy of the Word dectective worksheet to each student.
- Dictate the words to the class.
- Divide the class into pairs or groups of 3s.
- Ask the students to choose one of the words, create a definition and write a sentence to show how the word may be used in context.
- Ask individual students to present their words and definitions to the class.