- Put up the title “Father Christmas and the Lonely Princess” on the board and elicit ideas about the possible content of the short story.
- Use the class computer to look at the online story link for “Father Christmas and the Lonely Princess” at http://toondoo.com/View.toon?param=8257576
Tell the class that they are going to write the story from the pictures. If you don’t have access to a class computer or Internet, use Worksheet 1 only.
- Include a brainstorm of vocabulary associated with the pictures and elicit / revise the past tense forms of any verbs (this could be done as class bingo).
- Check understanding of basic linking words (and / then / after that…) to include in the story.
- The pupils write the story in pairs on Worksheet 1, using the online link as a reference. Monitor and correct language as necessary.
- Now swap partners and tell each other the story (weaker pupils can read what they have written, others can have the picture prompts only).
- Give out Worksheet 2 for your pupils to continue the story (part 2) using as many of the pictures provided as they want, but they can’t ADD pictures. If your pupils have email accounts and individual tablets, they can draw part 2 of the story at Toondoo, or if not, they can draw the story on paper.
- Use the online story as a warmer in the next lesson. Pupils retell the story in pairs.
- If your pupils don’t have individual class computers / tablets, they can put their version of part 2 of the online story for homework at Toondoo, making different cartoons for classmates to share and tell.